Almost there... (episode 2)

Laurent Bardet l.bardet@magic.fr
Mon Jul 29 12:02:00 GMT 2002

Mark Wielaard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 12:39, Norman Hendrich wrote:
>
> > "cannot load AWT Toolkit: gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit"
> > ... <stack trace deleted>
> >
> > Obviously, I forgot about static object initialization...
> > I am still confident that I don't actually need any windows, just
> > Toolkit and perhaps some Font initialization.
> >
> > I seem to remember that there was some magic involved to getting
> > either the gtk or the Xlib peers built. Unfortunately, I can not
> > find that info neither on the GCJ help pages nor searching this list.
> > The most recent message I found is not very helpful and certainly
> > not encouraging:
>
> The default awt toolkit is wrong in gcj it is either
> gnu.awt.gtk.GtkToolkit or gnu.awt.xlib.XToolkit. You should be able to
> set the AWT toolkit used with -Dawt.toolkit=gnu.awt.gtk.GtkToolkit. But
> that also doesn't seem to work :(

Hi Norman,

I started building the gtk peers just a few days ago. I got a minimal
gtk-based AWT application running yesterday on my linux i586 machine.
Before contributing patches to gcc community, I just want to get
things cleaner (I need background on some configure machinery details).

Since you currently need an AWT library working and I need feedback
on this work, I will try to get this work done and contribute it
within next days. Maybe it can be useful for you ?

Laurent Bardet