the prodigal patches...

Adam Megacz gcj@lists.megacz.com
Wed Jan 30 23:08:00 GMT 2002

Okay, patch time. As they say in Apocalypse Now, this is going to be
hairy...

A few things:

1) The main goal of my patches will be to get gcj into a state where
   you can build a linux-to-mingw crosscompiler. Anything beyond that
   (cygwin-hosted compiler, masochistic canadian-crosscompilers, etc)
   is somebody else's job =)

2) I've noticed that the build process is VERY finicky, so I'm going
   to maintain a shell script at

       http://www.megacz.com/mingw-gcj.txt

   Indicating exactly how I've built my compiler, including commands
   to download and install binutils and the mingw headers/libraries,
   since getting the exact versions right is pretty important. You
   also have to patch the mingw headers a bit, and I've included that
   patch, until the mingw people accept it and put out another
   snapshot (I just posted it to their list a few hours ago).

   I'll also include my gcj patches in this script as I complete
   them. So, in theory, you should just be able to execute this script
   and wind up with a fully patched, fully compiled copy of gcj.

   So, if you have trouble building gcj-for-mingw with my patches,
   please make sure you're using the same procedure I am. Once all my
   patches are in we can work on making things more robust.

   Don't try to cut-and-paste bits of this script out of your web
   browser; it won't handle tabs properly.

3) I'll be naming my patches WIN-00, WIN-01, WIN-02 to make
   identification simpler.

4) The first patch will be aimed at just getting it to
   build. Subsequent patches should provide monotonically increasing
   functionality.

5) From here on, I'll be posting to java-patches@ instead of java@

6) Please email me (or java-patches@) as the patches are
   accepted/rejected.

7) All my patches are against gcc cvs as of 30-Jan-2002.

Here we go...

  - a