about non-compatible optimization (was: Re: patch to bring java vtables closer to g++ abi conformance)

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Wed Jan 30 22:04:00 GMT 2002

>> Some JIT compilers do code patching to suppress the
>> second and later invocation of a class initilizer check.
>> How do you think about it?

Andrew Haley posted some notes on this a day or two ago.

It's clear that _Jv_InitClass calls are a problem for us (how big a
problem and what its priority should be, I don't know).  My opinion is
that we should pick the solution with the best performance :-).  This
means experimenting with a few methods.