testsuite problems on darwin was: [patch] HAVE_LC_MESSAGES for natSystem.cc

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 08:38:00 GMT 2002

Andreas> Then I do on the command line:
Andreas> [titanium:powerpc-apple-darwin5.2/libjava/testsuite] andreast%
Andreas> /Volumes/xufs/gccsrc/objdir/gcc/gcj -o hello hello.java

Andreas> Is this correct?

You need `--main=hello'.

Andreas> /usr/bin/ld: multiple definitions of symbol _read
Andreas> /usr/lib/libm.dylib(read.o) definition of _read
Andreas> /Volumes/reserved1/gcctmp/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-apple-darwin5.2/3.1/../../../libgcjgc.a(os_dep.o)
Andreas> definition of _read in section (__TEXT,__text)
Andreas> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Andreas> It seems to me that that the basic doesn't run. I guess apple
Andreas> specific stuff <sigh>, flat_namespace ???

I don't know anything about how the Darwin linker might differ from
traditional Unix linkers.

What's going on here is that the GC introduces its own version of
read() which knows to unprotect pages before reading.  Whether this is
appropriate for Darwin is something you'll have to figure out.