JSR 166 (Concurrency utilities)

Andrew Pinski pinskia@physics.uc.edu
Fri Aug 16 12:02:00 GMT 2002

On Friday, August 16, 2002, at 03:00 , Per Bothner wrote:

> Clemens Eisserer wrote:
>> I understand the restiktive license of the jdk-classes.
>> Otherwise java would brake up into hundered of incompatible
>> standards, andd that wouldnt be good for java.
>> It would die like commercial Unix died, simply because theres
>> no standard,
>
> This is not the place to discuss Sun's license.  I will just note
> that the existence of hundreds of Free Software projects that
> have *not*
> forked (e.g. gcc, gcj, apache, openoffice, mozilla, ...) seems to
> disprove your contention (and Sun's fears).

gcc had forked at least twice, once with pgcc and once with egcs.
The egcs became gcc though.
Also gcc is forked and have local patches by most of the vendors
of gcc (Apple and others).
But the forks are merging back together now slowly but surely.

Even the *BSDs forked off each other, they still use each other
code and will
do so for a long time.  They focus on different things.
But there was a movement last year to merge the userland of the
BSDs though,
so the forks are getting closer to each other now.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski