Building snapshot on sparc-sun-solaris

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Thu May 17 11:02:00 GMT 2001

>>>>> "Weiqi" == Weiqi Gao <weiqigao@networkusa.net> writes:

Weiqi> This time I'm using GNU binutils 2.11 instead of Sun's as and
Weiqi> ld.  And I have the full snapshot downloaded.

Weiqi> Will the following configure command line do?:
Weiqi> [gcc-build] $ ../gcc-20010514/configure --prefix=/opt/gcc-20010514
Weiqi> --enable-threads --with-as=/path/tp/gnu/as --with-ld=/path/to/gnu/ld

You also want to add `--with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld'.
I'm sure this is covered on the web page describing how to build gcc.

Weiqi> Is there a place on the web that lists what works and what
Weiqi> doesn't?

I don't know.

The platforms I want to work for java in gcc 3.0 are:

* x86 Linux
* PPC Linux
* IA-64 Linux
* alpha Linux
* Sparc Solaris

I've been doing x86, Sparc, and PPC builds with varying degrees of
regularity.  Mostly these do pretty well.  I haven't gotten alpha to
build (though Alex has) and I don't really play with IA-64 any more
(though Hans has had some success there).

Other platforms may work.  I don't have the time or the desire to care
about any others right now.

Usually Solaris builds work for me.  However I did one yesterday (from
the gcc3 branch) and, while the build completed successfully, Java
programs didn't run correctly.  I haven't looked into why not.  I
suspect the new EH code, but that is just a guess.