Adding new classes

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Sun Jul 22 09:07:00 GMT 2001

Nic> Can someone give me a brief overview of how I add a class to GCJ's
Nic> library implementation?

Mark covered it, but just for the record:

* Add the source file to the appropriate line in libjava/Makefile.am.
  The "appropriate" line depends on the package that the class is in.
  Generally it should be obvious by looking through Makefile.am.  If
  it isn't, tell me and I will add a comment clarifying the
  organization.

* Run automake in libjava.  See HACKING for more info.
  (I think this automake version is also on ftp at sources.redhat.com
  in pub/java, but I'm not certain.)

* If the file is in java.lang, java.io, or java.util (including
  subpackages), re-run scripts/classes.pl to update the javaprims.h
  header.

I think that's it.

If you're generating a patch there is a program you can get to do an
offline `cvs add' (it will fake an `add' if you don't have write
permission yet).  Then you can use `cvs diff -N' to generate the
patch.  See http://www.red-bean.com/cvsutils/