debugging threads vs processes

Jeff Sturm jsturm@one-point.com
Fri Jul 13 13:50:00 GMT 2001

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Cedric Berger wrote:
> I've currently 8 Java server application running on my server, each creating
> between 10 to 30 thread. Do you think Linux "top" output is very useful on
> my server?

It'd certainly be nice to toggle thread vs. process display.  On Solaris,
top doesn't tell me how many threads are running in a process.  I'd like
it both ways...

> And I need to write a shell script just to kill one process :(

I've had good luck when I signal the main thread.  Usually linuxthreads
cleans itself up, unless something is really stuck.  Of course identifying
the main thread from "ps -ef" can be tricky, so I like to record the pid
in a startup script.

Jeff