debugging threads vs processes

Jonathan Olson jpolsonaz@mac.com
Fri Jul 13 13:44:00 GMT 2001

The current lack of distinction between threads and processes on
LinuxThreads
is really annoying.  For example when debugging a multi-threaded process
one must type `continue' for every thread to restart the application.
On a typical
Java or multithreaded application this requires maybe a dozen
`continues'.   Then,
you never know if you've actually hit another breakpoint or just
continuing another
thread stopped by the first ^C or breakpoint.

Personally, I can't see much point in having a separate `ps' or `top'
entry for
each thread entry, since all entries show exactly the same information
except
for the process ID.  And killing a process is a nightmare.  If you're
lucky enough
to have only one process running the application, then `killall
application' works.
However it gets really messy to figure out which of the hundreds of
threads in `ps' correspond to the process you really want to kill.