Java Bytecode verifier

Per Bothner per@bothner.com
Sat Jul 7 12:55:00 GMT 2001

"Anthony Green" <green@redhat.com> writes:

> I suppose we'll have the same difficulty with BCEL, which appears to be dual
> licensed (LGPL + Mozilla).  Or perhaps we could use Per's gnu.bytecode
> package instead...
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/kawa/api/gnu/bytecode/package-summary.html

Actually, the latest version is now at www.gnu.org with the rest of
Kawa, at:
http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/api/gnu/bytecode/package-summary.html

I guess I should replace http://sources.redhat.com/kawa by a
forwarding pointer.

The gnu.bytecode package doesn't have a verifier, and it probably
isn't optimal for adding one.

If we incorporate a JIT such as Intels' ORP, it might have at
least some of the framework for a verifier.  After all it does
have to parse and analyze bytecode.  I think the most efficient
solution would be to plug a verifier into the ORP framework.

I do know that Kresten Krab Thorup (who wrote the libgcj
interpreter) has written a verifier, but I don't think it is
designed to plug into libgcj.

In any case, if we have a volunteer for adding a verifier,
that;s great.
--
	--Per Bothner