Java Bytecode verifier

Anthony Green green@redhat.com
Sat Jul 7 11:04:00 GMT 2001

Enver wrote in gcc@gcc.gnu.org:
> Is there still a bytecode verifier needed for gcj?

Yes!

> I'm currently writing one (GPL'd) based on BCEL (LGPL'd).
>
> I'll need another two months or so to clean it up and finish
> it (the API is pretty much finished, so you may still want to
> have a look).
>
> It may be not the thing you're looking for (it's all ritten in
> Java, for instance), but anyway..
>
> http://bcel.sourceforge.net
> http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~ehaase

Something like this would be very useful.  The license is the only tricky
bit.  All GCC runtime code (including gcj runtime) needs to be licensed
under the GPL with an exception that says....

    As a special exception, if you link this library with other files
    to produce an executable, this library does not by itself cause
    the resulting executable to be covered by the GNU General Public
    License.  This exception does not however invalidate any other
    reasons why the executable file might be covered by the GNU
    General Public License.

Would you be willing to modify your license?  Would you be willing to assign
copyright to the FSF?

I suppose we'll have the same difficulty with BCEL, which appears to be dual
licensed (LGPL + Mozilla).  Or perhaps we could use Per's gnu.bytecode
package instead...

http://sources.redhat.com/kawa/api/gnu/bytecode/package-summary.html

AG