Redhat GCC 2.96 won't work? java/lang/String.java:0: bad value constant type 0, index 0

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Fri Jan 26 09:40:00 GMT 2001

Kevin> burton@universe:/usr/home/burton/gcc
Kevin> gcj HelloWorld.java
Kevin> java/lang/String.java:0: bad value constant type 0, index 0

I've only seen this when I've tried to compile a .class file that was
built by the 1.2 JDK.

Do you have your CLASSPATH set?  If so, unset it.

If not, try sending the output of `gcj -v'.

Kevin> What is up with this?  Could it be the stupid compiler that
Kevin> comes with RedHat 7?

I seriously doubt it.  For one thing, I dispute your characterization
of that compiler.  It is probably the best released gcj so far.