I need an advice

Martin Kahlert martin.kahlert@infineon.com
Fri Aug 17 03:40:00 GMT 2001

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 10:39:44AM -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Martin> The system property "file.encoding" is thus set to "646" in
> Martin> natSystem.cc This encoding seems to be either incorrect or it
> Martin> cannot be handled,
>
> Yes.  `646' is not an encoding we recognize internally.  And, Solaris
> seems to let nl_langinfo(CODESET) return a name which iconv_open()
> doesn't recognize.  (IMHO that is a serious bug.)

And it makes my application nearly unusable.

> What if we add `646', along with a comment explaining why, to the
> alias table in gnu/gcj/convert/IOConverter.java?  I assume `646' is
> `ASCII', based on the presence of `iso646-us' in the table.  Is that
> true?  Or is it really 8859-1?
>
> I think adding 646 to the alias table is reasonable since this is a
> known problem for many Solaris boxes.

I do not know much about encoding. In fact, i never used anuthing like that,
before, so i am the wrong person to ask. Someone told me, that
646 was just something like 7 Bit ASCII on Solaris boxes.

It would be great, if this stuff would work out of the box on Solaris, so i
would vote for your solution.

Thanks,
Martin.

--
The early bird catches the worm. If you want something else for
breakfast, get up later.