I need an advice

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 09:07:00 GMT 2001

>>>>> "Martin" == Martin Kahlert <martin.kahlert@infineon.com> writes:

Martin> The system property "file.encoding" is thus set to "646" in
Martin> natSystem.cc This encoding seems to be either incorrect or it
Martin> cannot be handled,

Yes.  `646' is not an encoding we recognize internally.  And, Solaris
seems to let nl_langinfo(CODESET) return a name which iconv_open()
doesn't recognize.  (IMHO that is a serious bug.)

Martin> - The quick fix for me was
Martin>    #define DEFAULT_FILE_ENCODING "8859_1" instead of
Martin>    #define DEFAULT_FILE_ENCODING file_encoding ()
Martin>    in natSystem.cc
Martin>    That's not nice, but it works.

What if we add `646', along with a comment explaining why, to the
alias table in gnu/gcj/convert/IOConverter.java?  I assume `646' is
`ASCII', based on the presence of `iso646-us' in the table.  Is that
true?  Or is it really 8859-1?

I think adding 646 to the alias table is reasonable since this is a
known problem for many Solaris boxes.