Any problem with stealing Classpath?

Geoff Berry gcbATcs.duke.edu
Wed Sep 15 12:03:00 GMT 1999

Matt Welsh <mdw@cs.berkeley.edu> writes:

> I'm trying to build my own RMI implementation (NinjaRMI) using GCJ. A
> handful of classes are missing from libgcj, such as ObjectOutputStream
> and ObjectInputStream (used for serialization). Assuming that I can
> adapt the code from the GNU Classpath project for this purpose, is there
> any reason why we shouldn't incorporate bits and pieces of Classpath as
> needed to round out libgcj?

I wrote these classes for Classpath and have been working on getting
them working for libgcj.  I have submitted a first cut (output works
as long as none of the reflection code is hit), but it hasn't shown up
yet in the repository.

> More to the point, are there any plans to bring Classpath and libgcj together
> at some point? I assume that these two are wholly separate implementations
> of the Java libraries. Is there anything being done to merge the two?

I think this would have to be done on an author-by-author basis since
contributions to libgcj have to have copyright assigned to Cygnus.

--
Geoff Berry