Host/Target confusion in Dwarf output

Mike Stump mrs@apple.com
Thu Jul 12 19:08:00 GMT 2007

On Jul 12, 2007, at 9:23 AM, Michael Eager wrote:
> I was looking through dwarf2out.c, tracking down the
> cause for different assembly code being generated
> when gcc was run on 32-bit and 64-bit hosts.

When QAing, it is very useful to be able to compare two .s files.
This means that we should strive for them being bit identical.

Does that mean we should do tons of work to make that happen, no, or
waste tons of compile time to make that happen, no.  But, if at all
possible and reasonable to do, we should do it.  For the harder cases,
just think of a long term strategy to make it work, and try and
socialize that direction to go in.