Host/Target confusion in Dwarf output

Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
Thu Jul 12 19:20:00 GMT 2007

Mike Stump wrote:
> On Jul 12, 2007, at 9:23 AM, Michael Eager wrote:
>> I was looking through dwarf2out.c, tracking down the
>> cause for different assembly code being generated
>> when gcc was run on 32-bit and 64-bit hosts.
>
> When QAing, it is very useful to be able to compare two .s files.  This
> means that we should strive for them being bit identical.
>
> Does that mean we should do tons of work to make that happen, no, or
> waste tons of compile time to make that happen, no.  But, if at all
> possible and reasonable to do, we should do it.  For the harder cases,
> just think of a long term strategy to make it work, and try and
> socialize that direction to go in.

Agreed.  I probably wouldn't have noticed the differences
if they didn't cause the compile to fail.   If the differences
were benign, as I first though, I probably would have shrugged,
said "that's not good", and continued on.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077