RFH: GPLv3

Robert Dewar dewar@adacore.com
Thu Jul 12 18:19:00 GMT 2007

Serge Belyshev wrote:

> Personally, I think that bumping version number is the worst possible solution
> of all proposed.

To me it seems essential to change the version number when changing the
license. Technical compiler folk may not regard the license change as a
significant one, but for the user base it is. Many companies using gcc
will not be able to move forward to gpl3 based software without their
attorneys approving the change, a process that can be time consuming.

For such companies, having a very clear notion of what is gpl2 and
what is gpl3 may be critical.