Suppressing specific compiler warnings

Dale Johannesen dalej@apple.com
Wed May 26 20:04:00 GMT 2004

On May 26, 2004, at 11:50 AM, Phil Edwards wrote:

Also, this would make the process of internationalization of gcc/g++
easy.
Pardon my ignorance, but how so?
With numbers, the only string that needs to be translated is "no-".
With
names, they /all/ need meaningful translations.

I still think names would be more appropriate.
Another compiler I worked on did simple pattern matching:

-Wno="uninit"

to suppress the English uninitialized-variable warning, for example.
Some people see this as inelegant, but it's trivial to implement and
maintain,
coexists nicely with i18n, is convenient for users, and would simplify
the
compiler internals:  just go ahead and call 'warning' and let the low
level
routine do the pattern match.