Suppressing specific compiler warnings

Phil Edwards phil@codesourcery.com
Wed May 26 19:50:00 GMT 2004

[I'm on the list, please don't cc me.]

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 01:17:36PM -0600, llewelly@xmission.com wrote:

> > And then have option like -Wno-<number>... Something quite similar
> > to the HP compilers!
>
> Numbers are for computers. Names for people. A generalization,
>     but I am opposed to numbering warning kinds, on the
>     grounds that numbers tend to be harder to remember. If you are
>     reading a makefile, and you see -Wno-1492, you have no clue why,
>     but if you see -Wno-unused you know what is going on.

I tend to agree.

> > Also, this would make the process of internationalization of gcc/g++
> > easy.
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but how so?

With numbers, the only string that needs to be translated is "no-".  With
names, they /all/ need meaningful translations.

I still think names would be more appropriate.

Phil

--
Behind everything some further thing is found, forever; thus the tree behind
the bird, stone beneath soil, the sun behind Urth.  Behind our efforts, let