Trying to work around a 16-bit x86 weirdness

DJ Delorie dj@redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 14:45:00 GMT 2003


> > Have you looked at my old i86 port?  I don't expect it to work with
> 
> Yes, most of the machine description is snarfed from your port.

Ah, cool.

> (I did the i86.h and i86.c pretty much from scratch, though, as a sort
> of learning exercise.  I was surprised to see it attempting to work!)

I think if I were to revisit that port, I'd do it completely
differently anyway.  I'd break out AH/AL etc as separate registers,
and use register pairs for HImode.  That way, QImode operations can
use the AH etc registers too (if the base reg is HImode, it will only
use AL).

> Seeing that I snarfed i86.md's contents from yours, it must be your bug!
> :)

Hence the "I don't expect it to work with current sources" disclaimer.



More information about the Gcc mailing list