Darwin multilibs

Stan Shebs shebs@apple.com
Mon May 26 17:13:00 GMT 2003


Geoff Keating wrote:

>Dara Hazeghi <dhazeghi@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>is there any reason we're still building soft-float libs on Darwin
>>still? Stan Shebs mentioned in a message back in November
>>(http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-04/msg01549.html) that multilibs
>>weren't strictly necessary on Darwin. Would a patch disabling them
>>then be welcome? Thanks,
>>
>
>I believe that soft-float is used for the kernel and drivers.
>
>
The reason I was doubtful about the right thing to do is that kernel
and kexts aren't supposed to be using floating point at all, and
-msoft-float is just used to prevent float reg refs from getting in
by accident.  What I think kernel folks would most like is a libgcc
where adddf3 etc is not defined at all, so that mistaken references
show up as a link error, but that's a pretty unusual variant of
multilib.

Stan




More information about the Gcc mailing list