GCC 3.3 release criteria

Kaveh R. Ghazi ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu
Mon Feb 24 23:56:00 GMT 2003

 > From: Andi Kleen <ak@suse.de>
 >
 > "Kaveh R. Ghazi" <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu> writes:

 > gcc 3.3 doesn't compile the linux kernels (2.4 and 2.5) very well
 > currently because the inlining algorithm is too broken. The Linux
 > kernel often assumes that functions marked "inline" get inlined and
 > when they aren't it results in linking errors. In a few rare cases
 > you also get silent miscompilation (this happened in the x86-64 port,
 > now fixed)
 >
 > Only good workaround currently is -Dinline="__attribute__((always_inline))",
 > just using -finline-limit=hugenumber doesn't help.
 >
 > Better would be likely to fix the inlining heuristics to honor the inline
 > keyword better.
 > -Andi

Thanks for the info, do we have any high priority PRs filed for this
problem specifically mentioning the inability to compile the kernel?

In the past we've insisted on being able to compile linux, for obvious
reasons beyond simple compiler correctness. :-)

IMO we should continue to meet that criteria, one way or another.

--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu