Larger Compilations / Speed

F. Schaefer drfransch@netscape.net
Thu Aug 14 07:03:00 GMT 2003


Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:14:12AM -0400, Andrew Pinski wrote:
>> The OS should cache the files for execution (on Darwin it does)
>> so it looks more like an OS problem rather than a gcc problem.
>
>On Linux and every other modern Unix-like OS, the files are also cached
>in memory.
>

Well, I admit that it's been some years since I studied some UNIX internals. But, if I remember it right, the files are kept in a buffer-cache in RAM. Then when requested they are copied into the process data region. It is this copying, of course, that is a little slow. Not to speak about what is done to the cache by the copying of this large amount of data. 




>
>


-- 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=




__________________________________________________________________
McAfee VirusScan Online from the Netscape Network.
Comprehensive protection for your entire computer. Get your free trial today!
http://channels.netscape.com/ns/computing/mcafee/index.jsp?promo=393397

Get AOL Instant Messenger 5.1 free of charge.  Download Now!
http://aim.aol.com/aimnew/Aim/register.adp?promo=380455



More information about the Gcc mailing list