merging for 3.4 (was Re: [Patch] Qualify min(), max() ...)

Diego Novillo dnovillo@redhat.com
Wed Dec 4 12:01:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, 04 Dec 2002, Jan Hubicka wrote:

> It is understood what is needed in order to get this solved?
> IE how to make RTL chain generated from GIMPLE comparable to one
> generated directly from trees?

In general terms, yes.  It's the traditional iterative process of
profiling some body of code to see whether we need to remove RTL
passes, add more tree passes or both.

However, we still don't have all of the fundamental tree
optimizers working, so it's not worth doing at this stage.

Another area that needs to be studied is compile time
performance.  The tree optimizers will in principle impact
compile time negatively.  However, we hope that by simplifying
initial RTL generation we can reduce compile time in the RTL
backend.

Diego.