gcc2 archives (was re: config.guess and Linux/GNU)

Richard Kenner kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu
Sat Jun 17 09:44:00 GMT 2000

    I'm not sure we can ethically do that.  The reason is that gcc2 was
    operated as a closed list, and many people who posted to it believed
    that their words were semi-private.

I don't think the issue is privacy, per se, but that when people write to
a list that has a relatively small readership, then can write in a much more
casual form and take less care in the choice of words than when what they
write will be archived forever and available to the public.

    But because the conditions were different in the gcc2 days, to publish
    the gcc2 archives would be to publish peoples' words without their
    permission.

I agree: it's not proper to take somebody's words witten with one set of
assumptions on how they will be used and use them another way.  It's also
likely a copyright violation.

However, we can certainly make the last gcc2 CVS tree available, if it would
be useful.  I have it on my machine.