Do you need the vtable bug fixed?

Alexandre Oliva oliva@dcc.unicamp.br
Thu Jun 3 10:55:00 GMT 1999

On Jun  3, 1999, "Martin v. Loewis" <martin@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Therefore, this patch introduces the bug fix as an option: people that
> need the bug fix can recompile everything with -fvtable-thunks=2. The
> default would be the same as in egcs 1.1 (i.e vtable-thunks=1 on
> Linux, no vtable-thunks elsewhere).

AFAIK, we have already introduced other backward incompatibilities in
gcc 2.95, so it might be good to fix this problem.  I'd vote for
enabling the fixed vtable-thunks by default at least on GNU/Linux, by
arranging that -fvtable-thunks enables the fixed code, while providing
an option such as -fvtable-thunks=1 that would select the old broken
behavior, just in case someone needs it very badly.

We could wait for gcc 3.0 and/or -fnew-abi to enable vtable-thunks on
other platforms, if we're not doing it now that they'll work.

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Bra[sz]il
{oliva,Alexandre.Oliva}@dcc.unicamp.br  aoliva@{acm.org,computer.org}