Do you need the vtable bug fixed?

Martin v. Loewis martin@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de
Thu Jun 3 15:27:00 GMT 1999

> AFAIK, we have already introduced other backward incompatibilities in
> gcc 2.95, so it might be good to fix this problem.  I'd vote for
> enabling the fixed vtable-thunks by default at least on GNU/Linux, by
> arranging that -fvtable-thunks enables the fixed code, while providing
> an option such as -fvtable-thunks=1 that would select the old broken
> behavior, just in case someone needs it very badly.

Well, there are two steps in this involved. First, the code must get
into the compiler. Then, it can be enabled by default.

It is the first step that shows no progress. I personally would
recommend against enabling it by default. Other than me, nobody has
tested the code at all - which alone is a reason not to enable it
in 2.95.

Regards,
Martin