g++/i386: 4-byte inline struct return

Hasdi R Hashim hasdi@umich.edu
Thu Sep 17 09:59:00 GMT 1998

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Joern Rennecke wrote:
> This problem is ABI related.  For instance, you will get better code for
> i386-linuxaout that for i386-pc-linux-gnu.
> Unless you use -freg-struct-return , but then, you can get problems with
> library functions like inet_makeaddr.

I'll try this when I get back home. I think gcc should return struct
values in registers anyway (ignoring -fpcc-struct-return) if the caller
and callee can follow the same struct-return convention (i.e. inline and
static functions). Is there a fallacy in my thinking? I hope somebody more
experience can tell me if this is easy to 'fix' in egcs.

Thanks a bunch. -Hasdi