ADA frontend?

Mike Stump mrs@wrs.com
Tue Sep 8 18:05:00 GMT 1998

> Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 19:19:48 +0100
> From: Jamie Lokier <egcs@tantalophile.demon.co.uk>

> No, no, that'd be a major piece of work.
> Far more useful would be a C backend for GCC.

I started out on this once...  Got far enough to play with it, but
after a while, I came to the conclusion, it would be better to
configure up for a m68k simulation environment, and then just run a
simulator.  Your portable code is just vanilla m68k object code.
(ANDIF anyone?)  The reason why this would work, is because the
simulators are written in C.  So to bootstrap, you have an m68k Ada
environment, and this can bootstrap anything that has a C compiler.

This already works today, just grab gdb and gcc and compile one up.
(For people in the know: Right?)