egcs-1.1a with pgcc-1.1 patch compiled; Q: tests hang-up PC

Joern Rennecke amylaar@cygnus.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 19:09:00 GMT 1998

> I compiled without any problem
>
> >./config.guess
> i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1
>
> Q:
>  TestSuit at some moment completly hang-up my PC,
> so I even cann't detect at which moment it happens.
>
> Perhaps somebody  can give me advice what to do?
> How to detect exact test where it happens and how to
> detect why?

Are you sure the machine is really stopping dead, or is it just not
accepting any keyboard input anymore?  You could use some other process
taht continously outputs something to check.
If you use a experimental kernel, if might be a problem with that.
Otherwise, it's likely a hardware fault.
Try swapping some hardware components, i.e. memory, CPU, Motherboard...
if your machine needs to swap during the tests, the hard disk and its
interface could also be the culprit.
If you have a network card, try to remove it.  Try turning off cache,
using more conservative memory and CPU timings.