egcs-980122: results on i586-linux-gnulibc1 haifa disabled - READ it:CRASHES included

Benjamin Redelings I bredelin@ucsd.edu
Sun Jan 25 13:15:00 GMT 1998


If you look at the linux-kernel mailing list archives, you'll see that
2.1.81 has a LOT of bugs.  These should be ironed out in a week or two. 
I suggest you try 2.1.81-pre1.  This is basically 2.1.80 with a few tiny
bugfixes.  However, 2.1.79 might be more stable.  I've heard that 2.1.80
had a lot of bugs too.
	It is true that the 2.1.x series tend to have fewer bugs with gcc2.8.0
and egcs.  However, gcc2.8.0 hasn't been around very long so some of
those bugs still haven't been fixed:  gcc2.8.0 and egcs are much better
at optimization.  As a result, a lot of things that were incorrectly not
marked "volatile" cause bugs with optimization.  The optimizer will
optimize them away.
	I bet that 2.1.83 will be pretty stable if no new features are added. 
But you really need to check the mailing list archives at
www.linuxhq.com to see how many bug reports and patches there are :)

-BenRI



More information about the Gcc mailing list