egcs-1.1 status
Toon Moene
toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl
Tue Aug 25 19:31:00 GMT 1998
Bernd wrote:
> About a year ago I submitted a patch which tries to do exactly
what you are
> proposing:
> * track which pseudos live in which hard registers for every
insn during
> reload
> * Using this information, compute correctly which hard
registers are safe
> to use as spill registers
> * spill single pseudos to free hard registers locally instead
of spilling
> all pseudos allocated to a hard register that has been
selected as spill
> register.
>
> The patch generated a lot better code on the x86, and I believe
it fixed th e
> regparm problems. I've asked about its status a few times, but
I've never
> heard back from anyone, so I can only assume no one ever looked
at it.
Whack - I thought I never heard anything about it anymore because
someone had detected a giant loophole in it and didn't bother to
tell the list about it ...
Jeff wrote:
> Probably the first thing to do is get us an updated patch.
> Don't forget to include a ChangeLog entry (I didn't find
> one in the patch you sent just over a year ago).
As far as I can see it includes a ChangeLog entry (about 60 lines
of it ;-)
See http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs/1997-Aug/0075.html
(Yes, that's nineteen ninety SEVEN).
HTH,
Toon.
More information about the Gcc
mailing list