building every released version of GCC starting with 4.1.2, with appropriate matching glibc

Mason slash.tmp@free.fr
Fri Apr 7 12:07:00 GMT 2017

On 07/04/2017 12:35, Toebs Douglass wrote:

> On 07/04/17 00:54, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>
>> On 6 April 2017 at 23:26, Toebs Douglass wrote:
>>
>>> Now, I may be wrong, but it seems to me when a new GCC is being
>>> released, it will be compiled for sure with the most recently published
>>> glibc, libmpfr, libgmp and libmpc.  Similarly, it will be created with
>>> the most recently release binutils.
>>
>> No, not necessarily.
>>
>> When GCC is released it's compiled by users, and so will use whatever
>> glibc a user has on their machine.
>
> I may be wrong, but I think generally people using a distro will use and
> only use the compiler and glibc which came with the distro.
>
> It is unusual for a person using a distro to compile a new GCC or glibc.

On Ubuntu, it's possible to have several versions of GCC coexist.
(For example, I use 4.8.x, 5.x, and 6.x on the same system.)
I just installed the packages, of course.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-toolchain-r/+archive/ubuntu/test

Regards.