How to compile gcc entirely with an external compiler?

Jonathan Wakely jwakely.gcc@gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 18:58:00 GMT 2016

On 24 December 2015 at 11:28, Yuri wrote:
> I would like to avoid any bootstrapping, and just build it with an external
> compiler.
>
> --disable-bootstrap doesn't do it. It still uses xgcc for compiles.

That's not really bootstrapping: it uses xgcc to compile the target
libraries. There is no way to avoid that (except by hacking the
makefiles, but there's no guarantee it will compile because the target
libraries might make use of features only supported in the latest
GCC).

> I am specifically interested in building libgfortran.so this way to avoid
> certain shared library clash.

Could you elaborate? What clashes?