building old gcc3 for i386-linux on recent x86-linux?
LMH
lmh_users-groups@molconn.com
Thu Feb 18 17:31:00 GMT 2016
Steffen Dettmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in short:
> How to build a gcc3 host=x86-linux target=i386-old-linux today?
> Are there alternatives?
>
> --long:
> I'd have to build old 32 bit applications for old i386 Linux
> systems and would like to use a recent 64 bit Linux system to do
> so. I think I should be able to install an old gcc3 as
> cross-compiler.
>
> As first step I unpacked binutils-2.16.1a.tar.bz2 and
> gcc-3.4.3.tar.gz, symlinked " bfd binutils gas gprof ld opcodes"
> to gcc src dir in order to perform a "combined build", created an
> objdir and ran configure --target=i386-myold-linux, which worked
> (see below for the complete commands).
>
> I wondered why I don't need any headers of the old glibc to be
> used and so far no kernel headers... Did I miss something here?
> (Note: in later attempts, I tried various combinations with
> --sys-root, but had no success either). I expected that I'd build
> bintuils+gcc+glibc (some older egclib) against the headers from
> the old target kernel. Am I on the right way at all?
>
> After configure, I tried "make", but it fails:
>
> gcc -W -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -g -O2
> -o .libs/size size.o bucomm.o version.o filemode.o
> ../bfd/.libs/libbfd.so
> -L/net/dehecnas1/Homes/sdettmer/tmp/gcc3/3/objdir/libiberty/pic
> -liberty ../libiberty/libiberty.a ./../intl/libintl.a -Wl,--rpath
> -Wl,/net/dehecnas1/Homes/sdettmer/tmp/gcc3/3/inst/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/i386-vcu-linux/lib
> gcc: error: ./../intl/libintl.a: No such file or directory
> Makefile:615: recipe for target 'size' failed
>
> just guessing I tried:
>
> make -C intl libintl.a
>
> which worked, so I repeated make. Now it fails a bit later with:
>
> gcc -W -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -g -O2
> -o .libs/size size.o bucomm.o version.o filemode.o
> ../bfd/.libs/libbfd.so
> -L/net/dehecnas1/Homes/sdettmer/tmp/gcc3/3/objdir/libiberty/pic
> -liberty ../libiberty/libiberty.a ./../intl/libintl.a -Wl,--rpath
> -Wl,/net/dehecnas1/Homes/sdettmer/tmp/gcc3/3/inst/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/i386-vcu-linux/libbucomm.o:
> In function `make_tempname':
> /net/dehecnas1/Homes/sdettmer/tmp/gcc3/3/objdir/binutils/../../gcc-3.4.3/binutils/bucomm.c:425:
> warning: the use of `mktemp' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp' or
> `mkdtemp'
> ../bfd/.libs/libbfd.so: undefined reference to `unlink_if_ordinary'
> collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> Makefile:615: recipe for target 'size' failed
>
> and indeed
>
> nm libiberty/libiberty.a |grep unlink_if_ordinary
>
> finds nothing. Interestingly, when I build binutils in a
> different object dir alone, I get a libiberty.a with:
>
> nm libiberty/libiberty.a |grep unlink_if_ordinary
> 0000000000000000 T unlink_if_ordinary
>
> so as I already was hacking I just used the whole folder in my
> gcc build tree and re-run make. This time it runs some more
> seconds until it fails with:
>
> ../../gcc-3.4.3/gcc/config/i386/linux.h:217:20: signal.h: No
> such file or directory
> ../../gcc-3.4.3/gcc/config/i386/linux.h:218:26:
> sys/ucontext.h: No such file or directory
>
> in my kernel headers ("2.6.16.60-0.37_f594963d-bigsmp") I have
> asm/ucontext.h, but no sys/ucontext.h. For a test, I copied
> headers from target system to my inst/i386-vcu-linux/sys-include/
> and some libs (crt*.o, libc.so and libm.so) to inst/i386-vcu-linux/lib.
>
> Make progresses but then fails with:
>
> checking for main in -lm... configure: error: Link tests are
> not allowed after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES.
> Makefile:21960: recipe for target 'configure-target-libstdc++-v3' failed
> make: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1
>
> This time I had no idea what I could hack to progress.
>
> I also tried to build with newer binutils versions
> (binutils-2.19.1, binutils-2.22.tar.bz2), but they try to compile
> with -Werror which fails because of gcc49 warnings.
>
> I tried older (2.14), but had issues resulting in an attemp to
> run flex. I also tried gcc-3.3.6 (which I actually would prefere)
> without success.
>
> I even tried to build a native gcc3 first (with make bootstrap),
> but it also failed. First, with libiberty, as above, when copying
> it from binutils build, I get:
>
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../gcc-3.3.6/gprof -I.
> -D_GNU_SOURCE -DDEBUG -I../bfd -I../../gcc-3.3.6/gprof/../include
> -I../../gcc-3.3.6/gprof/../bfd -I../../gcc-3.3.6/gprof/../intl
> -I../intl -I. -DLOCALEDIR="\"/net/dehecnas1/Homes/sdettmer/tmp/gcc3/2/native/share/locale\""
> -W -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -g -O2 -c
> ../../gcc-3.3.6/gprof/sparc.c
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../gcc-3.3.6/gprof -I.
> -D_GNU_SOURCE -DDEBUG -I../bfd -I../../gcc-3.3.6/gprof/../include
> -I../../gcc-3.3.6/gprof/../bfd -I../../gcc-3.3.6/gprof/../intl
> -I../intl -I. -DLOCALEDIR="\"/net/dehecnas1/Homes/sdettmer/tmp/gcc3/2/native/share/locale\""
> -W -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -g -O2 -c
> ../../gcc-3.3.6/gprof/mips.c
> cc -c -o flat_bl.o ../../gcc-3.3.6/gprof/flat_bl.m
> cc: error trying to exec 'cc1obj': execvp: No such file or directory
> <builtin>: recipe for target 'flat_bl.o' failed
> make[3]: *** [flat_bl.o] Error 1
>
> (after several calls to gcc it calls cc?)
>
> and when removing gprof from Makefile it progresses, but finally
> I cannot link because it misses ctri.o (it is in
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/crti.o).
>
> How to build a gcc3 version today?
>
> Any hint, help or FAQ pointers appreciated! Google is not so
> helpful when looking for older information...
>
> Steffen
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------->8=======
>
> #!/bin/bash
> set -e
>
> function warn() { echo "$@" >&2 ; }
> function die() { warn "FATAL: $@" ; exit 2 ; }
>
> #tar xjf binutils-2.16.1a.tar.bz2
> #tar xzf gcc-3.4.3.tar.gz
> #tar xzf glibc-2.3.4.tar.gz
>
> ( cd gcc-3.4.3/ && for d in bfd binutils gas gprof ld opcodes ; do ln
> -sf ../binutils-2.16.1/$d . || die "failed to symlink binutils"; done
> ) || die "error"
>
> test -d objdir || mkdir objdir
> test -d binobjdir || mkdir binobjdir
> test -d inst || mkdir inst
>
> #TODO
> # mkdir inst/i386-vcu-linux/sys-include
> # cd ... && ln -s ../../../dehetucks-includes/* .
> # mkdir inst/i386-vcu-linux/lib/
> # ctr*o, lib[cm].so
>
>
> inst="`pwd`/inst"
> # seems unused (but check inst/i386-vcu-linux/sys-include/)
> test -d inst/sys-include || mkdir inst/sys-include
> ( cd inst/sys-include && ln -sf
> ../../linux-2.6.16.60-0.37_f594963d-bigsmp/linux linux )
> ( cd inst/sys-include && ln -sf
> ../../asm-2.6.16.60-0.37_f594963d-bigsmp/asm asm )
> #test -d sysroot || mkdir sysroot
>
> PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
> # TODO CHECK: should need old host triplet names?
> # --with-system-zlib \
> # --prefix=/usr/local/ \
> # --with-local-prefix: Do not specify /usr
> # --with-sysroot
> # --with-clocale=generic https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2014-09/msg00010.html
> # --with-cpu=generic # original gcc-3.3.6 tells this, but not supported here?
>
> cd objdir
> ../gcc-3.4.3/configure \
> --target=i386-vcu-linux \
> --prefix=$inst \
> --with-local-prefix=$inst \
> --enable-threads=posix \
> --enable-languages=c,c++ \
> --enable-ssp --disable-libssp \
> --enable-shared --enable-__cxa_atexit \
> --enable-libstdcxx-allocator=new \
> --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs \
> --without-system-libunwind
>
> make -j8
>
Hello Steffen,
Many flavors of linux still have gcc3 available. It is often called
"legacy gcc" or something like that. I know that CentOS and OpenSUSE
still have it. You can sometimes get it for Ubuntu buy using an older
repository.
I still compile and use gcc3/g77 code for 64-bit linux and this works
just fine, so I would suggest finding an acceptable linux that still
supports gcc3 instead of doing something more complicated.
LMH
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list