GCC and Intel Xeon Phi (Intel MIC) support

Bharath Ramesh bramesh@vt.edu
Fri Mar 22 03:36:00 GMT 2013

>On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 04:23:57PM -0400, Bharath Ramesh wrote:
>> I am working on a research project for which I require using GCC
>> compiler and I am also using Intel Xeon Phi (aka Intel MIC)
>> co-processor cards. Looking at the Intel's website it states changes
>> have been committed to GCC [1]. I was wondering which version of GCC
>> supports it and what flag should I add for it to generate code that
>> can run on the Intel Xeon Phi cards. If I have to compile GCC to
>> support it what flags do I pass to it while building GCC. Really
>> appreciate any help on this.
>>
>> [1] http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-and-third-party-tools-and-libraries-available-with-support-for-intelr-xeon-phitm
>
>This gcc doesn't support the parallel floating point instructions
>(as your reference says), and several linux components normally
>built with it are de-featured. The cross-compiled gcc is supplied
>with the coprocessor linux installation.

Thanks for the information. I did find the cross compiler. I will
try to see if I can build the native Xeon Phi compiler if I can
get hold of their patches. I am not interested the floating point
instructions as much, I just want to use gcc to create a proof of
concept work. Hopefully as GCC support matures it can be used as
the mainstream compiler as opposed to the Intel Compilers.

P.S: I am not subscribed to the list so would appreciate if I am
copied in the replies.

--
Bharath