How do you get gnu gcc to build a 64 bit binary compiler?

Jonathan Wakely jwakely.gcc@gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 15:06:00 GMT 2011

On 10 August 2011 16:02, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 10 August 2011 15:48, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10 August 2011 14:56, Joe Young wrote:
>>> Problems building 64 bit gnu gcc
>>> x86 Solaris 10
>>> source gcc-3.4.6
>>>
>>> How do you get gnu gcc to build a 64 bit binary compiler?
>>>
>>> I've got two gcc-3.4.6 source directories. And am compiling the first
>>> with
>>> ./configure -with-arch-64=i386 --with-tune-64=i386 --with-cpu-64=i386

Also, you apparently didn't read the link you gave very carefully,
because it says not to configure in the source directory.

One major advantage of that is that you don't need two source
directories to build two different configs, you have one sets of
sources and two build directories:

mkdir build1
cd build1
../gcc-3.4.6/configure -with-blahblah
make
cd ..
mkdir build2
cd build2
../gcc-3.4.6/configure -with-whatever
make

The source dir is untouched by that process, and if you screw up the
config you just remove the entire build dir and create a new empty
build dir. The sources remain untouched throughout.