How do you get gnu gcc to build a 64 bit binary compiler?

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby@onetel.net
Wed Aug 10 15:03:00 GMT 2011


On 08/10/11 02:56 PM, Joe Young wrote:
> Problems building 64 bit gnu gcc
> x86 Solaris 10
> source gcc-3.4.6
>
> How do you get gnu gcc to build a 64 bit binary compiler?

Someone has said you can't. I don't know whether that's true or not, but I 
suspect it is.

But why would you want to build a 64-bit binary? A 32-bit binary is capable of 
creating 64-bit code - give it the -m64 option.

I guess if you had a source file of a couple of GB, it might be useful, but I 
can't see any other real use.

There are advantages to using a 32-bit model. All addresses are shorter, so more 
can fit in the cache, so execution should be faster. Sun provide 32-bit binaries 
for most programs.

-- 
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list