output messages

kevin diggs diggskevin38@gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 18:03:00 GMT 2010

Hi,

I would like to add some messages into the build stream. Things like:

*** Beginning libgcc ... ***
*** Beginning libjava ... ***

Something easy to locate in a log.

Can someone more familiar with the GCC build system make some
suggestions. Where to put them? Makefile.{in,am,tpl (tpl???)}? Maybe a
code fragment.

I can't even get rid of debug information for a 4.3.5 build. I have
managed to get a 3.4.6 build down to 200MiB. (I have yet to add ada
and obj-c++. How big are they (without -g info)?)

System is a PowerMac 8600 with a 750GX processor card running YDL 4.0.

Thanks!

kevin