output messages

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Tue Nov 16 19:27:00 GMT 2010

kevin diggs <diggskevin38@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to add some messages into the build stream. Things like:
>
> *** Beginning libgcc ... ***
> *** Beginning libjava ... ***
>
> Something easy to locate in a log.

I already see lines like

make[3]: Entering directory `/home/iant/gcc/bootstrap/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc'

That seems sufficient to me.

> Can someone more familiar with the GCC build system make some
> suggestions. Where to put them? Makefile.{in,am,tpl (tpl???)}? Maybe a
> code fragment.

Top level Makefile.tpl.  As the comment at the top of that file
indicates, you generate Makefile.in from Makefile.tpl and Makefile.def
using autogen.

> I can't even get rid of debug information for a 4.3.5 build.

If bootstrapping:
    make BOOT_CFLAGS="-O2"
If not bootstrapping (i.e., building a cross-compiler):
    make CFLAGS="-O2"

Ian