[GCC front end] trying to install sample_fe but fail in make

Andi Hellmund mail@andihellmund.com
Thu Jun 24 01:53:00 GMT 2010

Hey Asma,

> Thank you Andi for your suggestions, but I do not think that my shell is
> broken I am using the GNU bash, version 3.2.19(2)-release
> (i586-mandriva-linux-gnu)

Yes, I now don't think that the shell is broken either.

> [charfi@is010178 ~]$ sh -version
> GNU bash, version 3.2.19(2)-release (i586-mandriva-linux-gnu)
>
> I created the 2 scripts as you suggest, and executed first.sh, I get this:
>
> [charfi@is010178 ~]$ ./first.sh
> START
> SECOND
> END SECOND
> AFTER GCC

Okay, this approach was just too simple ...

> I really need to add a front end to GCC.

And I would really be glad to help and assist you, but it currently
seems to me that the problem is specific to your machine only and that
it would be generally hard to find it.

However, maybe some of the suggestions/suspicions help:

* you mentioned that the config-lang.in file from the C++ front-end
works without any problems even though both files, from the C++
front-end and the sample_fe front-end "look" equal. But maybe, something
went wrong during the download or extraction of the archive (just for
the case, here's a checksum of the file using the cksum utility

sample_fe config-lang.in
1684117529 427 config-lang.in

* alternatively (a bit more time-consuming), you could try to copy the
config-lang.in from the C++ front-end to the sample_fe directory and
successively change this file back to the contents of the sample_fe
config-lang.in while checking which change really makes the problems

* if that all doesn't help, you could try to follow the suggestion of
Philip to use his code for the python front-end with gcc-4.5.0

Best regards,
Andi