[GCC front end] trying to install sample_fe but fail in make

Andi Hellmund mail@andihellmund.com
Tue Jun 8 21:34:00 GMT 2010

Hey,

> I moved to mandriva 2009 and I try to install now gcc4.4.4 with the sample_fe frontend
> I installed the GMP 4.3.2, MPFR 2.4.2 and MPC 0.8.2 all in /usr/local
> when I call configre with ( --with-gmp=/usr/local --with-mpfr=/usr/local --with-mpc=/usr/local
> --enable-languages=sample_fe ) I get this error although sample_fe/config-lang.in contains: language="sample_fe" !!!
> and the last line of the generated error mention sample_fe in the list of supported langauges !!!

Thanks for moving to a new version ...

> checking for correct version of gmp.h... yes
> checking for correct version of mpfr.h... yes
> checking for version 0.10 of PPL... no
> checking for correct version of CLooG... no
> : command not found/Bureau/gcc-4.4.4/gcc/sample_fe/config-lang.in: line 7:
> : command not found/Bureau/gcc-4.4.4/gcc/sample_fe/config-lang.in: line 9:
> : command not found/Bureau/gcc-4.4.4/gcc/sample_fe/config-lang.in: line 11:
> : command not found/Bureau/gcc-4.4.4/gcc/sample_fe/config-lang.in: line 13:
> : command not found/Bureau/gcc-4.4.4/gcc/sample_fe/config-lang.in: line 7:
> : command not found/Bureau/gcc-4.4.4/gcc/sample_fe/config-lang.in: line 9:
> : command not found/Bureau/gcc-4.4.4/gcc/sample_fe/config-lang.in: line 11:
> : command not found/Bureau/gcc-4.4.4/gcc/sample_fe/config-lang.in: line 13:
> configure: error:
> The following requested languages could not be built: sample_fe
> Supported languages are: c,c++,fortran,java,objc,obj-c++,sample_fe

First of all, I have no idea what's wrong, because I've never seen this
error before. Well, all these mentioned lines are empty lines in the
config-lang.in and it seems that the configure script or better your
shell tries to execute these empty lines when the config-lang.in file
gets included into the configure script.

Just like I said, I tested the sample_fe front-end with my (x)ubuntu
system in bootstrap mode, and I didn't face any problems.

For me it seems - without any proof - that your POSIX shell (/bin/sh) is
  somehow broken. Which version of /bin/sh are you using? Because I
don't have a Mandriva 2009 system by hand, I can't try to reproduce, but
just for the case that you want to dig further into the problem, you
could have a look into the configure script at lines 5066-5277.

But, maybe as a first start, you could create two shell scripts with the
following contents. They should try to reproduce your phenomenon:

===== first.sh =====
#!/bin/sh

echo "START"
value=
. ./second.sh
echo "AFTER ${value}"
===== END first.sh

===== second.sh =====
echo "SECOND"

value=GCC

echo "END SECOND"
===== END second.sh =====

After creating these two files, keep the file permissions of second.sh
at 644 and change the file permissions for first.sh to 755 and finally
execute

# ./first.sh
START
SECOND
END SECOND
AFTER GCC

Maybe someone else on this list has an idea what could be wrong or has
already seen this error before ...

Andi