how to build targets with octeon platform?

刘卓 lzhskywalker@gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 05:38:00 GMT 2010

Hello there,

    I'm a software engineer working with MIPS CPU -- octeon. I used to
build my projects on my x86 system using a cross-compiled gcc which
was built specifically for octeon platform. Recently, I have figured
out that gcc 4.4.3 starts to support octeon platform by using a normal
x86 gcc with an option "-march=octeon". But it seems not working as I
tried several time.

    I've tried to compile a brand new gcc while not install it. And I
also tried installing it. Both ways seem not working as it supposed
to.

    As I'm using gcc to build an octeon target, i got the message below:

         gcc  a.c   -march=octeon

  a.c: 1: error: bad value (octeon) for –march= switch

  a.c: 1: error: bad value (octeon) for –mtune= switch

 It seems the option '-march' and '-mtune' won't work with all MIPS
series platform.  But when I tried replace 'octeon' with 'athlon64' or
something else, gcc did it just fine.

  I was wondering, am i using the option in a wrong way, or it is a bug in fact?

  Please help me out about how to build octeon target under x86 gcc
with those options, thanks very much.

Best Regards,

Zhuo Liu