GCC 4.3.2 Install into Cygwin

Tim Prince n8tm@aol.com
Wed Feb 3 02:02:00 GMT 2010

On 2/2/10 8:50 AM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> JJ-Cygwin<nongjamine@yahoo.com>  writes:
>

>> My code is
>> $ ls -->  Result = usr/local/contrib -->  it is current location
>> $ ../gcc-4.2.4/configure --enable-languages=c,c++ --->  Err msg =
>> bash:../gcc-4.2.4/congigure: No such file or directory
>>
> This is almost certainly a cygwin-specific problem, and you may do
> better asking for help on the cygwin mailing list.
>
> When I see an error like that, what I think is "there is no /bin/sh".
> So, is there a /bin/sh?  I don't use cygwin, and I can't help you if
> there isn't one.
>
> A workaround for a missing /bin/sh is to invoke the shell explicitly:
>      bash ../gcc-4.2.4/configure ...
> You may also need to set the environment variable CONFIG_SHELL to
> bash, or ideally the absolute pathname of bash.
>
> Ian

I've never run into a missing cygwin /bin/sh; it can't happen unless you
modify the standard installation, in which case the advice will be to
return to standard configuration.  As you've spelled configure 2
different ways, I would look first to see if the message is telling the
truth.  It's also worth while to verify you are running the current
supported version of cygwin.
Cygwin list tends not to be helpful to those who want to build their own
gcc, possibly with good reason, as any reasons why someone would not
accept the gcc-4 provided by cygwin almost inevitably lead off topic.

--
Tim Prince