Can gcc show status of a compilation?
Jonathan Wakely
jwakely.gcc@gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 13:30:00 GMT 2010
On 18 December 2010 11:33, Greatwolf wrote:
>
> Thank you for the suggestion though unfortunately not every build system
> can accomodate easily what you propose. Sometimes I do infact pass all
> the source files in at once when I want a full rebuild.
>
> Still at any rate, in my experience all the other compilers I've tried
> (and I've tried quite a few of them), they do output some kind of
> information on the file currently compiled. This includes, MSVC
> compilers, Borland compilers and even Digital Mars compiler.
The convention for unix commands is to print nothing except on error.
http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch01s06.html#id2878450
> Other times this is handy if for example, I don't want make to output the
> commandlines being used in all it's verbosity, I would pass -s to not
> echo the command. However, I would still like to see the status of the
> files as it compiles.
This seems silly to me. You have a tool which can print what it's
doing, but you want to silence it and have another tool print it.
You could just write make rules like this:
%.o: %.c
@ echo "Compiling $<"
@ $(CC) -c -o $@ $<
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list