Can gcc show status of a compilation?

Greatwolf gmane.greatwolf@mamber.net
Sat Dec 18 11:33:00 GMT 2010

Tony Wetmore <tony.wetmore@solipsys.com> wrote in news:4CE0130A.1010707
@solipsys.com:

> Oh the other hand, if you are using the compiler to build an entire set
> of files at once and want to see its progress, that sort of output may
> be useful.  However, I would recommend that you consider using a tool
> such as make to build your projects.

Thank you for the suggestion though unfortunately not every build system
can accomodate easily what you propose. Sometimes I do infact pass all
the source files in at once when I want a full rebuild.

Still at any rate, in my experience all the other compilers I've tried
(and I've tried quite a few of them), they do output some kind of
information on the file currently compiled. This includes, MSVC
compilers, Borland compilers and even Digital Mars compiler.

Other times this is handy if for example, I don't want make to output the
commandlines being used in all it's verbosity, I would pass -s to not
echo the command. However, I would still like to see the status of the
files as it compiles.

I'd imagine this is a rather easy feature to add to gcc, if I were to
implement this and submit a patch for it, would it be accepted? (assuming
coding style and etiquette are followed)