Where did the warning go?
Eivind LM
eivliste@online.no
Fri Feb 20 15:39:00 GMT 2009
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 03:24:41 +0100, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com>
wrote:
> "Eivind LM" <eivliste@online.no> writes:
>
>> So the problem seems to be that my g++-4.1 includes the -Wconversion
>> by default, while the others don't. Is the set of default warnings
>> known to vary between versions and platforms?
>
> The warning options don't vary between platforms. They do vary between
> versions.
>
> See, e.g., http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.3/changes.html which mentions a
> change to -Wconversion.
The changelog mentions a change in the way -Wconversion works, it does not
mention that -Wconversion is not anymore a part of -Wall. Anyway, my
observation was that warnings about conversion were included in version
4.1, and not in 4.2, so the change should be mentioned in the 4.2
changelog. I cannot find it there though. This is not a problem for me
anymore though (after I found the -Wconversion flag), it just seems odd.
Next question: Does the -Wall flag have a long and complicated history?
The name indicates that it enables ... well, uh, ... *all* warnings. (Yes,
i should have read the docs more carefully.)
I would like to compile my code with absolutely as many compiler warnings
enabled as possible, and then selectively deactivate the ones that I
cannot avoid in a reasonable way. Once upon a time I found a flag with a
convincing name (-Wall). Then after a while I found a new flag which
gave me more warnings (-Wextra). Then now I realized that -Wconversion is
not
included even if i use -Wall and -Wextra.
Is there a way to enable absolutely all? -Weverything? :)
Eivind
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list