Where did the warning go?

John (Eljay) Love-Jensen eljay@adobe.com
Fri Feb 20 16:21:00 GMT 2009

Hi Eivind,

> Next question: Does the -Wall flag have a long and complicated history? The name indicates that it enables ... well, uh, ... *all* warnings. (Yes, i should have read the docs more carefully.)

One might think that "-Wall" is all warnings.  But it is not.  Maybe a better name would be "-Wselect-popular-warnings".

> Is there a way to enable absolutely all? -Weverything? :)

No.  You have to enable the warnings one-by-one.  The -Wall and -Wextra will enable sets of warnings en masse.

It would be nice to have a -Wall-and-I-mean-it-dammit-this-time-with-feeling for the toggle warnings (precluding the parameter warnings).  Then you could -Wno-conversion opt-out of the warnings as you see fit, explicitly.  But, alas, that's not available

Sincerely,
--Eljay