gcc 3.4.3 and --enable-long-long

Robert Austen austen@willowglen.ca
Wed Dec 23 02:52:00 GMT 2009

Hello

I was hoping you might be able to answer a question for me please.
I am wondering how to disable the long-long, as --enable-long-long
seems to be the default, and -ansi does not seem to disable it.

I am using gcc as a cross compiler, --version says:
powerpc-603e-linux-gcc (GCC) 3.4.3

My target is an embedded 32bit PowerPC.

What I am trying to do is to disable the use of floating point
instructions that seem to be used to move long long variables
(or other 8 octet structs) without using the -msoft-float option.

You might be trying to figure out why I'd want to.

I am finding that the penalty of doing a fpu context switch is
way way higher than what is saved by using a 64bit fp load/store
instruction to do a move versus using a pair of 32bit int load/store
instructions.

However, there are places where we do indeed want to do floating
point operations, and here I do want hardware floating point enabled.
Here the overhead of the context switch is justified for doing real
floating point.

Any way I can achieve this?

Thanks!
Regards,